Disability services providers in Massachusetts, like other human service agencies across the nation, are facing a staffing crisis. The Boston Globe reported, “Nearly every sector in the state is experiencing labor shortages. But in these mainly nonprofit human services jobs, the effects are far-reaching. Workers dealing with COVID-induced stress are pulling double shifts to make up for staffing shortages.”
“Pay rates are largely determined by the state, providers say, which is the main source of funding for human service agencies.” ~ Boston Globe
The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) was signed into law in March 2021. It provide a one-year increase in federal matching funds for Medicaid Home and Community Based Services. The Commonwealth has designated these funds “with the goal of strengthening and stabilizing the state’s HCBS workforce.”
“It’s a chance to foster lifelong relationships. It’s not work when you’re having fun!” ~ Shaine Alvaranga, Program Coordinator
With the time-limited ARPA funds designated to Communitas, we have strengthened our commitment to retention and recruitment of dedicated and qualified staff.
- Starting salary increased for all direct support positions in our Residential and Day Services divisions.
- Increased salaries for all existing direct support staff by the same amount.
- Salaries increased for existing and incoming front-line supervisors in Day Services and Residential Services.
- Increased salaries for nursing staff in Day, Family, and Residential Services.
- Implemented a retention bonus for Family Services staff.
- Instituted shift differential pay increases for hard-to-cover shifts (holidays and weekends).
“This is a rewarding career with opportunity for growth. It’s definitely a life experience!” ~ Roger Plourde, Director of Residential Services
Communitas hiring managers have been meeting weekly with Human Resources, Recruitment and Marketing to develop and implement an aggressive recruitment plan.
- On-going review and update job descriptions and job listings
- Increase recruitment budget
- Schedule job fairs and hiring events
- In person at Communitas locations
- Remotely via Zoom
- At job fairs hosted by local colleges and universities
- Increase presence at local community events
“I stay at Communitas due to the whole company’s forward-thinking mentality. Everyone from the CEO to DSPs are always making choices that lead to a community vibe that I have never experienced at another job.”
If you know anyone who is thinking about changing careers, or is looking for their first career, they can contact Cam, or they can visit our website Careers Page.
Communitas offers an excellent benefits package, including:
- Insurance Benefits
- Health Insurance through Harvard Pilgrim
- Dental Insurance through Altus Dental
- Employer-paid life insurance and long-term disability
- Flexible spending accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Time Off
- Generous accrued vacation time starting at 3 weeks for full time employment
- 12 paid holidays
- Accrued sick time for all employees
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Internal training programs
- Advancement and development opportunities
- Employee Recognition