As we prepare for this year’s CommUNITY Walk event, look at this link to see highlights from Community Walk 2019 and all of last year’s Walk Dreams that came true!
Clicking on the following photos, link or description will link you to the article on our site!
Check out this link to see a recap of the Community Walk 2019 event. Walkers and teams are encouraged to find sponsors to pledge support for their walk, and raise funds that directly and positively impact the lives of people with DD/ID. This year, each team raised funds with a specific Team Dream goal in mind! Each program’s team worked together to identify a group goal they would all really like to do. Groups planned out destinations or events, researched the cost of their Team Dream and set a fundraising goal! Below are links to many of the Dreams from 2019’s Walk event.
Wakefield Wanderers – field day, mini-gym and cookout
Check out the Five Guys at Woodcrest Drive – Patriots Game
A community based event designed for all people!
Designed to be accessible for all people, the CommUNITY Walk 2019 is an annual event; a self-paced, individual, and team pledge walk for everyone; including those with physical, developmental and intellectual disabilities.
Our CommUNITY Walk celebrates being together as a community with our friends, family and neighbors, engaging in healthy activities, and having fun!
We started our CommUNITY walk back in 2016 in Ipswich River Park, and it was originally called EMARC Walks With You. We relocated to Lake Quannapowitt in downtown Wakefield, and Communitas represented with more than 200 friends, family and neighbors joining us. Many people brought their friends, their children and we even had a few family pets get in on the fun!
Team Dream Fundraiser Winners!
Walkers and teams are encouraged to find sponsors to pledge support for their walk, and raise funds that directly and positively impact the lives of people with DD/ID. Each team raised funds with a specific Team Dream goal in mind! Each program’s team worked together to identify a group goal they would all really like to do. Groups planned out destinations or events, researched the cost of their Team Dream and set a fundraising goal!
While the reason we walk is definitely to celebrate our CommUNITY, a little healthy competition is always fun! Toward that end, we’d like to “shout out” to our Team Dream fundraising winners! Huge thanks to these folks for their fundraising success!
- Individual Award – Sheel Muni
- Program Award – Beverly Day Services
- Community Home – Rustic Lane
Check out these Team Dreams!
- Albion All-Stars – Beach Boys Concert
- Between a Walk and a Hard Pace (Residential Coordinators) – fun residential party
- Burlington Flamingos – an outdoor greenhouse
- CommuniCHAOS (Beverly Day) – additional activities in the community
- Five Guys at Woodcrest Drive – Patriots Game
- Golden Girls (Newcomb Avenue) – Red Sox Game
- Main Street Striders – Boston Aquarium and lunch in Boston
- New Kids on the Walk (Family Support) – Family Support BBQ and adaptive cooking equipment for ACE and Stir Crazy programs
- Pitman Panthers – Day trip to Southwick Zoo and dinner out
- Range Heights Rovers – Old Orchard Beach overnight trip
- Rustic Racers – karaoke machine and a day trip (destination undecided)
- Sweet Feet (Hopkins Street) – day trip to Maine
- The Skywalkers (Haven Street) – weekend getaway in Maine with dinner by the sea
- Wakefield Wanderers – field day, mini-gym and cookout
- Walkamolies (Independent Home Supports) – Spirit of Boston Dinner Cruise
- Water Street Mermaids – trip to Maine
Enjoy a few snaps of our July 27, 2019 CommUNITY Walk at Lake Quannapowitt!